Carbon Monoxide Can Be Silent Killer In Colorado Homes

April 16, 2012

Some people are unaware that carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless gas that’s capable of causing unconsciousness and death within minutes. Even fewer are aware of how often it may be encountered. In most situations, the gas is ventilated, but if allowed to build up, the results can be disastrous.

The Denver Post reported the story of a Westminster, Colorado, woman who died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home’s garage. The young woman was at home doing laundry on Christmas Eve of last year while using her cell phone. When the phone died and she was unable to find her wall charger, she went out to the garage and plugged the phone into a car charger in her father’s pickup truck. She then started the truck to use its heater to stay warm while waiting for the phone to charge.

Her mother found her dead in the truck the next morning. Carbon monoxide from the engine had slowly built in the garage, causing her to lose consciousness and suffocate. Her mother is using this tragic loss to help educate others about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Denver Wrongful Death Lawyers with the McDivitt Law Firm would like to remind Colorado residents of the Lofgren and Johnson Families Carbon Monoxide Safety Act, which is a state law that requires all residences to have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout the home or building.

Rate This Post!

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)