Colorado Workers' Comp FAQ

Should I report my accident to my employer?

Yes! Any injury or illness you’ve suffered on-the-job must be reported to your employer within four days of the accident. You may be denied certain benefits from Workers’ Comp for every day you fail to report your injury. However, you should report your injury even if you didn’t do so within those first four days. Your employer is responsible for filing an “Employer’s First Report” with the Division of Workers’ Compensation when it becomes aware of your injury.

What if my employer doesn’t have Workers’ Compensation insurance?

All publicly and privately owned businesses – with only a few exceptions – are required by Colorado law to provide workers’ compensation benefits for your injuries on the job. If your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance, the company may be subject to fines and will also be required to not only directly pay for all of the normal workers’ compensation benefits you are entitled to, but will be required to pay you other damages as well.

Can I receive pain and suffering through Workers’ Compensation?

No. However, the workers’ compensation benefits that are provided include (but are not limited to) Partial Disability Pay – if you are not able to work while recovering – medical, hospital and rehabilitation benefits. If your injuries are permanent, you will be entitled to compensation for your permanent impairment.

What types of accidents are covered by Workers’ Compensation?

Any injury due to an accident that happens while in the “course and scope” of your employment. The accident will be covered for example, if you are injured in the parking lot at work or while entering or leaving your work-site or while at lunch in the company lunch room. These are just some examples. The law regarding what injuries will be deemed to have happened while in the “course and scope” of employment is very complicated. However the experienced Worker’s Compensation Attorneys at McDivitt Law Firm will be able to answer any questions you have.

Can I afford to have a lawyer help me?

Yes. The initial consultation is free at McDivitt Law Firm, and if we take your case, you will never pay any fee until we collect money for you. Call toll free (877) 846-4878 or click here for a consultation form.

From the Workers Compensation Blog

Browse the latest news & articles from the McDivitt Legal Team

Do I Need a Doctor for My Workers’ Compensation Case?


Injuries related to your job could be occupational (happen over time) or specific (ex; falling at work). If you are injured from a job-related illness or accide…

Read More

Coming and Going Rule


 If you are injured on the way to work – who pays? Workers’ compensation is designed to provide defenses to workers who are injured on the job. However, the com…

Read More

Colorado’s Drilling Problem


The Denver Post recently did a five part series, “Drilling Through Danger,” about the dangers oil and gas workers face in Colorado, a more in-depth account of C…

Read More
View All Posts