Hit and Run Accident Attorney
Being in a car accident is stressful enough, but add a hit-and-run to that scenario, and life gets more complicated. If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible for your injuries.
Our Colorado car accident lawyers are experienced and know the state laws and rights you are entitled to as a driver or pedestrian involved a hit-and-run accident. Our attorneys in Denver and surrounding areas may be able help you receive medical treatment and compensation even if the defendant driver isn’t found. Below are some of the actions you can take after being in a hit and run accident.
Gather as much information as possible to help the police and a lawyer in the investigation and case. Here is a list of some important information to gather after a hit-and-run accident:
- License Plate: A license plate number is the most valuable information. Even if you don’t have time to write the whole number down, a partial number can be helpful.
- Type of Car: Knowing the car make, color and model can help find the responsible party of a hit and run accident. Again, even if you can’t get this information, knowing the color or make, plus a partial license plate number can assist in the investigation process.
- Driver Description: In any crime, it is important to get a good description of the driver. In hit and run cases, it is not unusual that the vehicle is stolen, so the vehicle description and license plates may not be enough. Since there is so much going on, it can be difficult to get a good description of the other driver. Asking witnesses for their accounts of the individual may be beneficial if you didn’t see them. If possible, write down contact information of witnesses in case the police need statements from them.
Call the Police
It is always a good idea to call the police after any car accident so they can record notes and create a report. A police report may help the investigation process for your attorney and the insurance companies.
If you’ve been in a hit-and-run, a police report is the best and safest way to document the accident, and calling the police may even help you locate the driver. Leaving the scene of an accident can be a crime, and Colorado has enacted a new hit-and-run accident law to combat the practice. The law is called the Medina Alert Bill, which was named after Jose Medina, a man killed by a hit-and-run driver. Under the new law, police can issue alerts like Amber Alerts to help locate hit-and-run drivers. They also use Media and other means to get the word out about a vehicle and/or driver that has fled the scene of a hit-and-run accident.
If someone is found guilty of being part of an accident and fleeing the scene, the repercussions could include a misdemeanor or even a felony, depending on the severity of the injuries and damages. Due to the complexity of these types of accidents, it is always a good idea to involve the police and an attorney.
Call an Attorney
If you have been in a car accident, it’s a good idea to call a Colorado lawyer for counsel. After a hit and run accident, speaking to an attorney can be extremely beneficial for the following reasons:
- You may not know your rights or the laws pertaining to your hit and run case.
- An attorney can investigate different types of insurance coverage even if the other driver is never found.
- If the other driver isn’t found, the only insurance coverage left is usually your own.
An experienced hit and run lawyer can help make sure that your insurance is paying the maximum amount you are entitled to for damages, injuries and medical needs. Although you may think your insurance will work in your best interest, their primary goal is to minimize your claim. That is why it’s important to contact an attorney to better understand your potential case, especially if you or your car sustained injuries or damages.
From the Auto Accident Blog
Browse the latest news & articles from the McDivitt Legal Team
New Colorado Insurance Law that Improves Your Coverage|
McDivitt Law Firm attorneys work hard each day to represent the best interests of our clients and fight against injustice of any kind. Recently, one of our atto…Read More
Can Pre-Existing Injuries Affect My Auto Accident Claim in Colorado?|
At McDivitt Law Firm, we know sustaining injuries in an accident is serious. Focusing on your health should be the first priority. A physician should review you…Read More
5 Secrets Insurance Companies Don’t Want You to Know|
We’ve all seen the insurance commercials overflowing with compassionate agents, catchy slogans, and talking lizards. Insurance companies spend millions every ye…Read More