Colorado Auto Accident FAQ

1. How am I going to pay for my medical bills if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

You may have already purchased insurance for just this situation called Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. This coverage pays if you are injured by a hit-and-run driver or a driver who does not have any coverage (uninsured) or doesn’t have enough coverage (underinsured) to pay for your injuries.

2. What does it mean if the insurance company says my vehicle is a total loss?

If the insurance company says your vehicle is a total loss, it is because the retail market value of your vehicle just before the accident is less than the cost of repairing it.

How do you know if your vehicle is totaled? Talk to our Colorado car accident lawyers today by calling toll free (877) 846-4878 or click here to fill out a free initial consultation form.

3. How long do I have to file a lawsuit for the injuries sustained in my car accident?

In the state of Colorado, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. This time limit is known as the Statute of Limitations. However, you should never wait to file a claim following your car accident injuries. You should immediately, after the accident, contact the Colorado car accident lawyers at the McDivitt Law Firm so that they can help you get the most money for your losses and immediately get the medical help you need. Waiting may result in losing the value of your case and the ability to get your medical bills paid.

4. How can I afford a lawyer?

The phone call and initial consultation with the Colorado car accident lawyers at McDivitt Law Firm is free of charge. Also, if we are able to take your case, you will not pay any fee until we get money for you. At that time we will be paid a percentage of your total settlement.

Very importantly, the net amount of the money you receive out of your settlement (your share) will nearly always be more than you would receive if you do not have an attorney.

5. Are there other advantages to hiring a lawyer?

Yes – by having a Colorado car accident lawyer at McDivitt Law Firm handle your claim, you will not have to go through the stress of dealing directly with the insurance company representatives and lawyers, as we will always speak on your behalf. Having one of our experienced lawyers represent you enables you to focus on just one thing – recovering your health and getting your life back on track.

From the Auto Accident Blog

Browse the latest news & articles from the McDivitt Legal Team

Property Damage After an Auto Accident


If you have been in a motor vehicle accident, we are able to help with your property damage claim, along with any injuries caused by the accident. We have a ded…

Read More

Ask Your Attorney the Following Questions After an Auto Accident


You were unfortunately the victim of a car crash and you’ve decided to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Your first meeting with your at…

Read More

How to Collect Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Benefits


Despite the fact that Colorado requires all drivers to maintain minimum levels of insurance on their vehicles, many do not. In fact, in 2012, Colorado ranked 9t…

Read More
View All Posts