Car accidents are always traumatic, and the injuries suffered can significantly impact your life. You may be facing overwhelming medical bills, inability to work, and find yourself unable to do the things you used to do. However, you may be able to recover compensation if the car accident was not your fault.
The first thing to do is to consult with an attorney. Choosing the right attorney – someone who has a great deal of experience in auto accident cases – is very important. McDivitt Law Firm has tremendous experience in this area. One of our Colorado injury accident attorneys is available to speak with you.
There are certain questions you should consider upon meeting with your attorney for the first time:
- Does it cost me to talk to an attorney?
- How are attorney fees and costs of my case paid?
- Do I have to pay the costs necessary to handle my case?
- How much legal experience does the attorney have?
- How many attorneys and staff members does the law firm have to help me pursue my claim?
- How experienced in auto accident cases is the law firm?
- What if I lose my case, how are my costs paid and do I owe my attorney anything?
- What information do I need to provide my attorney about my accident?
Once you feel comfortable with your attorney, there are additional questions you should ask.
- What should I do if the insurance company makes an offer? If someone asks you to fill out paperwork, give a recorded statement, or entertain a settlement offer, do not do so without consulting your attorney. Remember, the other party’s insurance company does not have your best interests in mind.
- How long will it take to settle my claim? It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a year or more to settle your personal injury automobile accident claim. Ensuring full and fair compensation may take time. The insurance company will want to analyze records and photos, interview witnesses, and obtain all information related to your injuries and health issues. Your attorney should be able to give you a timeline once all the facts are known.
Knowing the right questions to ask your lawyer will help you become a better-informed consumer. Being in a car accident is traumatic enough. You don’t need the additional stress of worrying about how to recover your losses. For further information and a free initial consultation with one of our experienced Colorado auto accident lawyers, call toll free 877-846-4878 or click here to request a case evaluation. The first consultation is free, and you won’t owe us anything until we collect money for you.