8 Tips to Prevent a Car Accident in the Denver Area
Denver is a major metropolitan hub in Colorado. I know that every time I drive in and around Denver, I feel like the city has gotten even more populated, with even more cars on the road. Regardless, Denver is great city to live in or visit. Therefore, it’s important when out to be aware of all surroundings in order to prevent an auto accident. Here are 8 tips to prevent a car accident in the Denver area, though they can be applied anywhere.
- Check Your Mirrors Often: It is extremely important to be aware of all vehicles around you, and pedestrians as well. Checking your mirrors before changing lanes, breaking, or turning can help prevent an accident. Also, remember your blind spot.
- Avoid Distractions: Always, always avoid distractions. That means texting, calling, eating, and many other things. Distracted driving is a very common cause for auto accidents.
- Use Your Signals: Signaling before you change lanes is not only required by law, but is very helpful to the drivers around you. If drivers are aware of your actions, you are less likely to get in a car accident.
- Be Defensive: Defensive driving is a great way to prevent car accidents. Driving defensively simply means that you should drive anticipating dangerous or serious situations on the road. That way you are aware of your surroundings and can better anticipate what to do if a situation arises. A great way to drive defensively is to follow the three second rule, or stay behind the vehicle directly in front of you by at least three seconds.
- Obey the Speed Limit: Again you are required by law to follow the speed limit, and plus, no one wants a speeding ticket. Speed limits are in place to prevent accidents, so let’s follow them.
- Don’t Tailgate: Please don’t tailgate. If you don’t leave enough space between you and the car in front of you and the car in front suddenly breaks, what do you think will happen? In a busy city it’s common to tailgate, especially if you’re on a tight schedule, but not tailgating will prevent you from dealing with a car accident in the future.
- Don’t Cut Off Other Drivers: Again, a busy city and busy schedule makes this a common occurrence, but cutting off other drivers is not safe and often leads to accidents.
- Use Extra Caution in Inclement Weather: You live in Colorado, and are probably used to inclement weather, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use extra caution in bad weather, whether its rain or snow. Remember tires have poor traction on both wet and icy roads, even snow tires. Being a cautious driver could save you from getting into an auto accident.
I hope these helpful tips come in handy the next time you are driving in the Denver metro area. Remember, always be safe behind the wheel, and if you’ve been involved in a car accident due to someone else’s reckless driving, consider contacting an experienced attorney right away to understand your options.
If you liked this blog please rate it and check out these blogs as well:
- Popular Roads for Denver Motorcyclists and Safety Tips for All Drivers
- Is it a Car Crash or a Car Accident?
- Most Common Airbag Related Injuries and Safety Tips
- Top 15 Safest and Most Dangerous Cars
Back to the Blog