The wet weather is bound to come to Colorado. I’m sure we are all used to a summer thunderstorm. With that being said, I think it’s important to go over some safety tips to prevent accident on the wet pavement. Did you know that wet roads contribute to nearly 1.2 million traffic crashes each year? This is a scary statistic, and something we can all hopefully lower. Here are some helpful tips to help you avoid hydroplaning on a wet surface while driving:
- Reduce your speed. Driving at a slower speed will help your car to maintain better traction on the road. Faster speeds can also create a situation where you cannot bring your car under control is you do start to spin out.
- Maintain your car. This means checking to make sure your tires are in good condition. Better tires means safer car on the road.
- Avoid cruise control. Using this feature in your car an increase the chance of you losing control of your vehicle. You may need to reduce your car’s speed by lifting off the gas pedal, which can help prevent loss of traction. This cannot be done when using cruise control.
- Maintain adequate distance from other vehicles. This is important in any weather, but in wet weather keeping an even further distance between you and other cars. If you do lose control, you are less likely to hit another vehicle.
- Avoid harsh braking. Hard or fast breaking on wet pavement can cause your tires to slip. Slow braking, such as threshold braking, can help with traction.
- Drive in track of other vehicles. If you do this, the pavement is likely to have less water in the tracks. Less water means less of a chance to hydroplane.
- Remain calm. This is probably the most important tip. If you start to lose control of your vehicle, you need to remain calm. This will allow for you to better react to the situation and hopefully bring your car out of a skid.
Remember, if your car starts to skid continue to look where you want to go and steer in that direction. Please be extra cautious when driving in wet weather, and remember these tips. We here at McDivitt Law Firm know how difficult being an auto accident can be and we want to help you prevent that.
If you enjoyed this blog, you may also like the following: