Spring is in the air, which in Colorado means nice weather followed by thunderstorms. On those rainy days you may even think that it’s time for some Spring Cleaning. If you decide to spend some time cleaning, it is also a wonderful time to review a safety checklist for your home.
The National Safety Council has a great checklist which includes the following activities:
- Check that your smoke alarms are working properly.
- Check your carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. If you don’t have any, think of installing them in a central location outside each bedroom and on every level of the home.
- Create a Family Emergency Plan and make sure you have a home and car emergency kit.
Other great things you can do this spring are:
- Safely dispose of all expired or unwanted prescription medication, such as at a prescription drop box.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards. You don’t want any loose plugs or wires.
- Make sure your multi-purpose fire extinguisher is filled and in an easy to access place.
- Check your water heater for leaks and/or corrosion.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Check for damage to your roof.
- Clean gutters and downspouts of debris.
- Safely store oil and gas for lawn equipment.
- Repair cracked, broken, or uneven driveways/walkways.
Here at McDivitt Law Firm we want to stress more than just safety on the road or in the workplace, but in the home as well. Preforming these tasks can help to keep you and visitors safe at home. The Team at McDivitt hopes you enjoy a great spring and a fantastic summer.