Colorado Auto Accident FAQ: Property Damage Claims

When your car is damaged in an auto accident, you have to file an insurance claim with your insurance carrier and the at-fault driver’s insurance company. The insurance company will determine if your car is repairable or a total loss.


If the other driver was at-fault, his or her insurance company will pay for repairs or replacement of your vehicle. If you were at fault, your insurance company will only pay for damages to your car if you have collision insurance.

If the car is repairable, the insurer will pay for repairs up to what is deemed a reasonable amount for the service performed and depreciation of value resulting from the accident.

If the car is a total loss – if the cost of replacing the car is less than the cost of repairing it – the insurance company will write a check for the full replacement cost of the vehicle.

If you want help understanding how insurance claims work and what your rights are after a car accident, contact the experienced auto accident attorneys at McDivitt Law Firm in Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo at 877-846-4878. The initial consultation is absolutely free, and if we take your case you will not owe us any fee until we collect money for you.

Rate This Post!

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)