Some victims of car accidents can walk away without injuries to their person; however, many victims sustain complicated and critical injuries after an accident. The lawyers at McDivitt Law Firm work tirelessly for those who have been injured in auto accidents, and have seen clients with an array of bodily injuries. Nonetheless, there are some common injuries that many sustain in an auto accident. Here are some of the more common car accident injuries:
- Soft Tissue Injuries: A soft tissue injury occurs when a muscle, ligament, or tendon is damaged. Frequent injuries include a sprain or strain in a particular area of the body. A common soft tissue injury that results from car accident is “whiplash.”
- Scrapes and Cuts: Scrapes and cuts are pretty commonplace injures that could be very superficial or more serious depending on the depth of the cut. Regardless, they should be treated.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are another common injury, and in fact one of the most common causes of broken bones is a car crash. While many bones can heal and be as good as new, sometimes more complicated surgeries are required to help with these types of injuries.
- Brain and Head Injuries (concussions): Brain and head injuries can be very serious, and sometimes hard to diagnose. A common injury would be a concussion; additionally, there are traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and mild traumatic brain injuries. Common symptoms of a TBI can include headache, nausea, fatigue or drowsiness, difficulty sleeping, dizziness or loss of balance, sensory problems, memory or concentration problems, and/or mood changes.
- Neck Injuries: Whiplash would also be a neck injury. Other neck injuries can include pinched nerves (cervical radiculopathy) or herniated discs.
- Chest Injuries: This occurs when you receive a blow, minor or serious, to the chest. It is important to determine whether the pain in your chest stems from the force asserted against you or if there is an underlying heart problem.
- Leg and Knee Injuries: Typical knee injuries that can occur from a car accident are PCL or ACL tears or swelling, dislocation of the knee, ruptured tendons, or hyperextension of the ligaments. Typical leg injuries can occur at the thigh, hip, or ankle. Unfortunately, many of these can be very painful.
- Back Injuries: Back injuries can be very serious. As we all know, our back includes our spine, and auto accidents can have a serious impact on the spine. Many injuries to the back my just consist of a sprain to the thoracic or lumber areas. Another typical injury that can occur is a herniated disc; this is when a disc in the spine is displaced. An extreme injury may occur to the spinal cord, and could result in total or partial paralysis.
- Internal Organ Injuries: Internal organ injuries often occur after an auto accident because your body went through an event of violent shaking upon impact in the crash, affecting your internal organs. Common injuries to your organs that can occur due to a car crash are abdominal aorta aneurysm, internal bleeding, pneumothorax (broken rib punctures a lung), or ruptured spleen.
- Psychological Injuries: Not all injuries from a car crash are physical, some of them are psychological. Many people can suffer from anxiety or PTSD after an accident. These also can be very serious and life altering for a victim of an auto accident.
We are, of course, not doctors here at McDivitt Law Firm, we are lawyers. So we recommend seeing a doctor regarding any injuries, pains, or discomforts you may have after an accident so that you may get the proper diagnosis. However, if you have been injured due to someone’s recklessness or negligence behind the wheel and need legal assistance, do not hesitate to contact us today. Our team of highly trained lawyers and staff are here to help.